Friday, February 8, 2019

Let's Do The First Item First!

Okay, everyone, it's time. Time to start giving away stuff. My stuff. My collection. Now, these items will be yours. (Well, maybe not YOU, but they will be someone's.) This is the first installment of my Great Historical Collection Reduction, and I love that it's happening. So, as Bob Barker would say...let's take a look at the first item up for bids!


The first item is a 1974 book by Peter Haining called The Sherlock Holmes Scrapbook. It is in its original dust jacket, and the book is in impeccable condition. I have two copies of this, and only need one. (And the one I'm keeping doesn't have the dust jacket!)
There are a few problems with quality, but they all belong to said dust jacket. Below is a series of pictures showing everything about it. Please remember that I don't collect for value, so it's rare I'll have something in mint condition. Also, I am passing these things on just as I got them. I will make no modifications or repairs. They are free, after all, and I'm just trying to pay them forward. So, please make sure the item is acceptable to you. If you get something and you're not satisfied with it for some reason, please give it to someone else. Let's keep these things moving.

This is the book. It measures about 15 X 12, and is about 1/2 inch thick. (That dark spot in the middle is just a reflection from my camera. The cover is spotless.)

This is what it looks like without the DJ. It's almost perfect.

The DJ has some curling and tiny tears at the top, but nowhere else. These two shots show the yellowing and curling. The curling can be flattened with an iron, though I suggest you watch a YouTube video or two about how to do it first.

This series of pictures show more DJ problems. Again, it's only along the top. There is some wear along the bottom where the book was slid in and out between other books, but it's minimal. (Third picture above.) It has one minor corner bump. The brunt of the wear happened to the DJ.

The book is perfect inside. No marks, no writing, no tears, no smudges. This page is the only one with any kind of mark. It's at the bottom, is smaller than a pencil eraser end, and looks to have happened in production. That is the only thing I could find in the entire volume. The book has no odors, and was not kept (by me) in a smoking home. I don't remember how long I've had it, or where I got it, but I know it's been many years. So, any smell it came with (though I recall none) has hopefully vanished.

Last one. This shows the pertinent info to collectors and book people.

Now, if you think this is something you might want, then answer the trivia question below:

(NOT counting the story title itself...) How many times does the phrase "illustrious client(s)" appear in The Canon - and in which stories?

The rules are simple:
1. Answer the trivia question by sending me your answer on Messenger, or by email. (Historicalsherlock@gmail.com)
2. The item will be up for one week, and then a winner will be picked from the correct answers by my wife on the 16th of each month. (Entries end at midnight on the 15th.)
3. I will mail you the package soon after.

If you have any questions about this piece, let me know. I'll happily send other pictures, or provide more info.

Good luck!
And as always...thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment