Monday, May 27, 2019

Stumbling Down Memory Lane (Part 3)

Well, here it is - the last part of the paper. The one where I show what the problem is with all of this. Enjoy. (I'll just be over in the corner crying.)


Page 15, Line 41
by Vincent W. Wright
(Originally presented August 28, 2010)

Addendum…

When I got the invitation to give this paper again I decided I wanted to update it with something new. One of the ideas that I had had but never acted on was trying to figure out the relationship between this address and Camden House. What I found absolutely shocked me. Turns out that the Camden House school had a number of different locations throughout London, and other parts of England, at this time.

I found the actual address, and started to work on the line of sight problem from ‘The Adventure of the Empty House’. But, something didn’t add up. I felt like a mathematician working some ancient theorem. I had pieces of paper with notes and numbers scattered all over my desk, and I barely ate or drank. (Ok, the second part isn’t true.) Finally, I found the one thing I was looking for. I had solved the problem. But, the answer was not what I wanted.

Now, what I am about to say may be a first in the history of Sherlockian presentations. I am here to admit, in front of my colleagues, that I made a HUGE mistake and that this paper – which has truly achieved a life all its own – is wrong. See, 23 Baker Street couldn’t possibly be The Sacred Lodgings. Here’s why…

First, let’s take a look at something a couple of pages before the Ordnance map I used. (And that ruined the whole idea.)


This is a not-to-scale map of Baker Street in 1881. The ‘X’ marks the place where I have placed my find. If you look closely at the illustration you’ll note that the numbers run in sequence up one side of the street and down the other.

On that same page is a paragraph which explains that Baker Street was renumbered in 1930 when it was merged with Upper Baker Street.


Well, if we look at the page with the Ordnance map you’ll find a notation above the map. It actually says that “modern numbering” has been inserted.


23 Baker Street was on the East side of the street – the same side as Camden House. Even if I stuck with it there is NO WAY I could pull off the shot into the window as demonstrated in ‘The Empty House’. So, if we look at the correct number system for the time we find that the spot I picked was actually No. 76, while No. 23 would have been in the spot where No. 50 is today.

Thank you for allowing me set the record straight and retire this paper.


Well, there you have it: my first paper ever. I remember the reception of it was incredible. Within two years I'd given it four times in four different states - and had to turn down other invites. 23 Baker Street put me on the Sherlockian map, and my "career" was firmly established. I was also astounded by the reception of the admission of the error. It may be unique for someone to give a paper and then admit later they were wrong. This isn't the scientific world, after all. But, everyone understood.

I still love the research that went into this. It still has some great finds, and it may someday be used in another project or paper. For now, though, it goes back into retirement. I'll see you next month. And as always...thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment