Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Kramer Had The Right Idea

One of the great things about having others interested in the same subset of a large hobby is the ability to bounce ideas off of one another. You want to make sure you're not stepping on anyone's toes with a thought or project, and often the level of knowledge about your chosen subject can be added to. All of these things can make a niche a comfortable place, and worth fighting for even if it is the least popular of said hobby. Such is the case with revisiting an email from last November, and what the result will now be.

It was the 20th of November in the year 2021. I had been considering some way to bring all of the chronological goodness to the world that would ease the effort made by those to reach out to we chronologists for data and dates. An email to fellow Sherlockian Brad Keefauver gave me the impetus I needed to get me moving in the right direction, but not necessarily in a motivational speech kind of way. It was more of a 'this is what I did and here's what worked and what didn't' kind of message. 

It was truly my intention to act on what we had discussed, but time and life get in the way of so much. It would have to wait. Fast forward to the current time, though, and you'll find me looking at the email again and putting brain to paper to get it all going. Basically, it all comes down to this: I am going to put all of the information I have gathered in one location that will be accessible by anyone and everyone for their chronological needs. Yes, the database I have is available for requests for whatever someone needs, but they have to get it when I can get it to them. I am good about answering as quickly as possible, but I hate making someone wait "until I get off work" for an answer. A one-stop-shop location would fix that.


What it comes down to now is how to present it. The email I referred to above talks about the negative aspects of a website, and I admit that it relieves me a bit as I am not the most technologically gifted person you'd ever meet. A blog, however, would do just fine. Blogs I can do. Blogs I have done. The big question is in what format to offer it. This has been troubling me for the last month or so, but I have a list of thoughts to peck at.

I love collecting chronologies - it's my thing. The database is now up to 41 of them, and I know more are coming or will be found. I still find that fun and exciting even after a decade of global searching. I like talking about my collection, and I still enjoy opening up the spreadsheets and just looking at them to see what I can see. It's no different than re-reading a book for the tenth time - it's what I do, and people seem to like having the information available to them even if they don't want to talk chronology at parties. (I know my place and I'm good with it.)

This blog continues to go strong, and I think having the lists here would be the most beneficial as others wouldn't have to go somewhere separate to get what they need. However, a stand-alone site would cause one not to have to go around other things to get to the good stuff, so I'm not sure how it's going to happen yet. I want this to be easy and accessible. No headaches for them and heartaches for me.


The main reason for all of this is that as I get older my life is allowing me to be able to pursue other interests. I have started a YouTube channel (which you can see here), and it will take up a considerable amount of my free time as I plan on devoting as much energy to it as I have (and still will) this. I love doing both and get to start each day knowing they each bring happiness to others. 

I now have to wonder about how much to pile onto this new chronological venture. While having an unlimited amount of space offered to us via the interwebs is great, I have to be careful not to make it an unworkable site. It's useless if it's confusing, and like I said before technology isn't my forte. Luckily, I have people who can help me, and they can be assured I will be asking questions. Did I mention that it is one of the great things about having others interested in the same subset of a large hobby? Well, it is.


So, on to the next thing, the next level. I've said many times that what I have collected and amassed is no magic trick - anyone can do it. I'm just lucky enough to be the yutz who has put it all in one place so it can be given to you. And that will continue for as long as I have the ability. I'll see you next month, and as always...thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment