Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Monumentally Memorable (At Least I Hope)

In a few days I will be in St. Louis attending a gathering of fellow Sherlockians. It will be my first one in a while, and I'm looking forward to it because I get to see some folks I haven't for some time. There's also bound to be some titles I'll want to purchase, and maybe even a few pieces of ephemera. The whole thing sounds like it's going to be worth the not-so-long-drive from Indy to St. Lou. There is one aspect of the whole trip that is more attractive than anything else. Let's talk about that.

I gave my first paper outside of my (then) home society in 2010. If you need a refresher, take a look here. I am still very proud of the work I did on it, even though I had to retire it because of a silly error in the research. After that event I was thrilled and honored to get lots of requests to re-give that presentation, and later most of the other ones I would produce in the next decade. It was a good ride, and I was happy to have had the opportunity (and opportunities) to put a smile on people's faces, not to mention giving them things to think about and research on their own.

But, time and interests move on and change. It's all a journey, and it's one I did and still am enjoying. I have gotten to hear oh so many papers and watch a lot of presentations at gatherings from Minnesota to Maryland to Tennessee and lots of spots within that triangle. But, what I haven't heard (I don't think) is a paper that is completely about my favorite Sherlockian topic - chronology. The subject has been touched on, but as for a full-blown piece on chronology, it hasn't happened (that I recall). But, it's going to.

According to Sherlockian Chronologist Guild member Bruce Harris, there are going to be at least eight of we members of that group in St. Louis attending Holmes in the Heartland 2023. Put together by the inimitable Rob Nunn, it is a very packed and attractive program with lots of extra activities spread out over three days. The paper I want to hear is by Guild member Mike McSwiggin. It will be so great to hear another openly admitted chronologist talk about our subset. I simply can't wait to hear what he has to offer. Even if it sucks - which it won't! - I'm still in. (The reason why is the first line of the next paragraph.)

I have a saying that all chronology is good chronology. It's so much fun to read everything I can about it. More data equals more bricks in that chronological superstructure. It also equals a never-ending warehouse of content to draw from, and that means always having something to write about. When Mike gets up to speak I am going to be in my element. I will be drawn into what he has to offer. I won't be there to judge or rate, but to listen and learn. I hope he goes on for hours and hours, though I know it will all be over with way too fast.

Now, I'm not much on taking pictures at events. I even fail to do so with my own grandchildren. I'm just lousy about it, so don't expect many (if any). But, I will be there for the entire weekend of events and presentations, so someone might take some of me. Then I will return to the safety and solitude of my apartment back here in Indy to digest what I heard. (I will also try and get Mike to give me a copy of his piece.) I don't get excited about too much, and I don't know if I do about chronology, but I know it gets my blood flowing and my synapses firing.

To be honest, one of the things I'm also giddy with anticipation about is going back to the Gateway Arch. I've seen it during my travels while going past on I-70, but never actually visited it. The last time I was under its immenseness was about three decades ago. I doubt it has changed much, and I figure it will just stand there in perpetual silent indifference as we gawk up at it with phones in hand. Still, I want to go back.


When I was there so long ago, I took a picture with my mom's Disc camera (remember those?) that was said by everyone who saw it to be postcard-worthy. I still have it. Well, my mom does. Somewhere. However, I have since learned that every single human who ever went there with a camera took the exact same picture. It really is a good shot, but I'm no longer hoping to sell it to a collector for a large sum. That expectation fizzled when I saw the gozillion of them just like mine on Google Images. This time, I think, I'll just admire it.

Well, I promised you a second blog post this month, and I have delivered. In my younger blogger days these posts used to give me anxiety. Now I can sit down and whip one out in an evening. I still enjoy writing them, and hope you will continue to enjoy reading them. I'll be back next month with something else to peruse, so make sure to stop by again. Take care of yourself, and as always...thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment